Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn

I rarely come across a book that I finish in two sittings. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn is one of those books. I had an ARC that came highly recommended, but for some reason it was buried in my TBR stack. I'm so glad I dug it out. This is a book for mystery lovers, and especially for mystery and dog lovers. The book is narrated by Chet, a dog who didn't quit complete his police training. "I'd been the best leaper in K-9 class, which had led to all the trouble in a way I couldn't remember exactly, although blood was involved". Bernie, a low-key P.I. is his person/partner. Let me tell you right now, though, that this is not a cute cozy novel. Chet is a wonderful narrator who assists his partner, but not in a super-hero way. The mystery is good, the writing is superb, and Chet is a dog after my own heart. He's easily distracted in a doggy way by smells, words, and phrases. He has a hard-boiled voice and is prone to mischief.. well he's a dog, after all. Both Chet and Bernie are flawed in a way that we love our hard-boiled heroes.

The mystery itself is quite good with all the clues and plotting right on. This book will make you think and laugh. I'm looking forward to the further adventures of Chet and Bernie. Coming from Atria Books (Simon and Schuster) in February 2009.

What a great way to start the year!

2 comments:

chriscmanson said...

I just started it yesterday and can't put it down.

Anonymous said...

If you enjoy Robert B. Parker for dialogue you will love this book. Crisp, Clever and Fun.