Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mystery Bytes: TV news

1. This is so wrong! Tom Cruise is in negotiation to play the lead role in the upcoming action movie ‘One Shot’, adapted from the best-selling crime novel by Lee Child. Cruise is in negotiations with Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions. The movie will be directed by Christopher McQuaire, who also provides the script for the movie.

The story of the movie is about a former military policeman, Jack Reacher, who investigates a case, where a sniper is accused of killing five people. The character of Reacher in the book is of 6’5” and weighs 250 pounds. That should tell you why this just isn't right!


2. HBO and BBC2 plan to create a new miniseries based on I, Claudius by Robert Graves. The acquisition deal "ends a long series of twists and turns for the rights to a book that was previously turned into an Emmy-winning 13-part miniseries in 1976 by BBC." Although BBC controls the rights to the original TV miniseries, the new HBO/BBC2 production will focus primarily on Graves's books I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius Born 10 B.C. Murdered and Deified A.D. 54 and Claudius The God: And His Wife Messalina.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told my husband about the choice of actor to play Reacher this morning (he's a big, big Child fan) and he choked on his cereal. After pounding him on the back, I said, "Isn't that so wrong for that character?". He just looked at me and noted that Cruise is not big enough. And after seeing his last movie with Cameron Diaz (I thought that one was awful), I can't even imagine. And I don't even read the Reacher books. LOL

vallerose said...

I am actually a sort of fan of some of Cruise's films, but he is not Reacher. they need someone tall.

I, Claudius is a series I own, one of the few. But it is certainly possible to do it again. The original series was great due to the terrific actors and the writing. There were no sets and it took me about three viewings to realize that. It will be very difficult to top Derek Jacobi and no one, but no one will be better than John Hurt as Caligula.

Gram said...

I am a Reacher fan and I hope they find someone who fits!!! If "The Rifleman" was still around he would be perfect! It might be a good idea to get an "unknown" to play the part.

Helen said...

Cruise has too much a baby face for Reacher, and too small. They need someone wth a man's face.

The original I, Claudius series was extraordinary. I'd be curious to see how well another version would look. I agree with vallerose that Derek Jacobi is going to be tough to replace.